Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Good Guys And The Bad Guys, They Never Work Past Noon Around Here

I got this image from a friend:

Breakfast Tacos

There are several reasons I like the shot, not the least of which is the equating of Mexican food with a gift from the Almighty, but the main one is this:

Breakfast tacos.

In the distant lands west of Texas, where people live openly in sin by cohabitating outside of marriage or voting Democrat, they commit a crime that even I find unforgivable: they use the term "breakfast burrito" to refer to any early-morning food involving a combination of eggs, bacon, potatos or cheese wrapped in a tortilla. This, I tell them, is a breakfast taco. At this point they usually cock their heads and look at me as if I'd told them I'd discovered the secret to time travel. "You mean, with a crunchy shell?" they ask. "No," I patiently respond. "It's a tortilla with bacon and eggs or whatever inside." "Oh," they say, smiling, "you mean a breakfast burrito."

And I try to explain to them that it's called a breakfast taco, as any one of the visitors to the Cowboy Breakfast could tell you. Or I want to take them for a breakfast taco at Abundio's, a small place where most of the employees don't speak English. I have fond memories of cutting class senior year of high school and eating here.

But I know it's a losing battle, and it's not worth getting that worked up about. Things there and things here are different, and that's the way it goes. On the whole, I still say I came out a little ahead, even if no one here knows what I mean when I say things like "I ate the Macho at Chris Madrid's." Oh well.

11 Comments:

As a non-native Texan, I am guilty of the aforementioned sin. Carlson, forgive me, for I have sinned...

(they sure are yummy, though, aren't they?)

By Blogger Steve, at 2:39 PM, November 30, 2005  

I forgive you, my son. Your penance is an act of contrition and 5 breakfast tacos: Get thee to a Cabana.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 2:49 PM, November 30, 2005  

Link the sound byte...Hilarious

Cody's brother

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 PM, November 30, 2005  

breakfast tacos are a gift from God. Anyone who says otherwise is a pinko-commy and should be chained to a tree for 3 days.

By Blogger Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire, at 4:30 PM, November 30, 2005  

The picture was taken at Mt. Bonnell, and I love the description at the bottom. So true. I love it here.

If Abilene were a food, it'd be grits.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 PM, November 30, 2005  

If Abilene were a food, it'd be week-old stew with a few old cigar butts floating in it. And as soon as you ate the stew, even if you picked out the cigars, you would get some kind of cancer that made you live a long, boring life.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 6:29 PM, November 30, 2005  

Er... what makes a taco a taco and a burrito a burrito?

By Blogger fried-neurons, at 3:39 AM, December 01, 2005  

DanDaMan -- Who else would recognize your post title as an obvious Refreshments quote? I'll finish it for ya.. "...they sit side by side in the cantinas, think of senoritas, and drink more beer."

By Blogger Joel Weckerly, at 11:52 AM, December 01, 2005  

Fried: Tacos either have a hard shell or a soft (tortilla) one. Stuff them with meat and lettuce. Burritos are usually bigger, longer, and often fried or grilled.

Weck the Sec: Always a pleasure. "Got my lures, got my bobbers, now I'm gonna go..."

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 1:20 PM, December 01, 2005  

"Got off in the wrong direction. Found a hooker, but"...uh oh...

By Blogger Sarah, at 10:59 PM, December 02, 2005  

We used to say "pumpkin" in high school if we were evr around sensitive ears. Or "lizard."

"...found a hooker, lost my pumpkin..."

Hey, when you're 17, it's about the funniest thing you've ever heard.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 2:10 PM, December 04, 2005  

Post a Comment