Monday, June 14, 2004

Thoughts I Have Had Today (6.14.04)

I need a job.

Why did Oprah pick Tolstoy's Anna Karenina for her latest book club selection? Most of her constituents probably needed a dictionary and roadmap just to make it through The Purpose-Driven Life. Does she hope to somehow take classic literature to the hordes of clueless middle-class Midwestern women who still say "You go, girl" and chortle? Man, I hate her.

I wonder if my general lack of interest in professional televised sports will make life harder or easier.

Talking with my aunt's boyfriend is always bizarre. I don't hate the guy at all; I just don't care that much about the whole situation.

Sometimes I'm so stone-frozen petrified of the fact that I'm moving in nine weeks to California, where I have no job waiting for me, that I start to realize that, yes, the next few years will probably be tougher than originally imagined/intended. There's a lot of fast water between here and 30.

Working with attractive women is like wearing comfortable shoes all day: one less thing to worry about.

Target is an okay place to go.

I really need a job. So much talent and schooling. All so I could ask, "And what two sides would you like with that steak?"

I need to eat more Chinese food.

A young black boy, no more than seven, knocked on my door this afternoon and asked me to "take him to swimming." I told him I couldn't, I had things to do. This disappointed him, but he moved on. I bet he's one of the kids that live upstairs, always running around and jumping on things. At least in my old apartment, the upstairs neighbors were reliable: parties every Friday and Saturday night, with bonus rounds in the bedroom above my roommate. But these kids are unstoppable.

Still, despite that aforementioned uncertainty about life, I'm still excited. I guess I have to be.

I can't believe how lucky I am.

2 Comments:

While I cant really stand the phenomenon of the Oprah bookclub, in its defense when she backed East of Eden (John Steinbeck), sales of the book surged to numbers it had never seen even in its heyday. That said, no one publishes the numbers of people that actually finished the book. However, the world should read E of E as it is possibly the best book written in recent history (humble opinion).

By Blogger Claire:, at 7:54 PM, June 14, 2004  

Hi Daniel...I got your link off of Melanie's AIM profile, and I just had to tell you that the same kid came to my door the other day and asked me to take him swimming. I pointed him to the pool and he said "No, I want you to take me." Thanks, but no thanks. So random.

By Blogger Jennifer, at 8:46 PM, June 22, 2004  

Post a Comment