Thursday, July 21, 2005

How To Convince Your Male Friends That You're One Of Them In Four Easy Steps

When conversing as a group, men will inevitably discuss sports, a subject that can be problematic for those that, say, can't remember all the obscure facts necessary in order to participate in a debate about pitching. If you find yourself in such a situation, here's a guide that might help.

1. When someone states an opinion, repeat it back to them as a doubtful question.
Example:
"Clemens is looking strong this year."
"You think he's looking strong?"

2. When someone states an opinion, voice your strong agreement.
Example:
"Clemens is looking strong this year."
"I'll say he is." [You might be tempted to say something as forceful as "Damn straight," but beginners should tread lightly.]

3. Always bring it back to the fantasy team.
Example:
"Clemens is looking strong this year."
"I know. I'm glad I've got him on my team."

4. Only show emotion when acceptable.
Approved movies for shedding a few silent tears: Rudy, Hoosiers, Rocky I-III.
Not approved: Youngblood.

That's it. The steps are deceptively simple: a minute to learn, a lifetime to master. Practice often, and one day you, too, might appear normal. Good luck.

8 Comments:

Classic, Dan. Classic.

By Blogger Steve, at 11:29 AM, July 21, 2005  

Thanks, Steve. I've been enjoying the topics on your blog lately.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 11:33 AM, July 21, 2005  

Hmmm... I'll have to try this out next time instead of my usual tearing up and running away to cry into the pillows on my bed. I've wasted too many diary entries on the subject.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 AM, July 22, 2005  

great stuff dan...and i've enjoyed the discussion you and others have had on steve's blog as well...hope cali is treatin you nice...

c blair

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:49 AM, July 22, 2005  

Well, you know, Clemens is having a strong year.

By Blogger Kyle, at 12:54 AM, July 24, 2005  

hehehehe as a gal, let me sum up what i just read.

to get into a guy's good books, u gotta kiss ass. lol

visit my blog some time ;P

By Blogger Valerene, at 1:40 AM, July 24, 2005  

Hi! This is going to sound really weird, but I just wanted to drop you a line saying your blog makes me smile. I found you on Yahoo cause someone quoted the Swingers quote and sadly, I was only 95% sure that it was from Swingers and wanted to make COMPLETELY sure before I said anything about it. That means it's time to watch it tonight!
But I was going through the pages that referenced the quote and saw "Sometimes you just stand there, hip-deep in pie" and HAD to check you out. Sports Night is, by far, my favorite tv show EVER.
So anyway, that's how I found you, and thanks for making me laugh.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM, July 24, 2005  

Thanks. I'm glad someone else out there likes Sports Night. So good.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 3:24 PM, July 24, 2005  

Post a Comment