Sunday, January 22, 2006

(Insert Impeachment Pun Here)


After seven years, four of them amazing, "The West Wing" will end its run on NBC this May. And I, for one, think it's about time.

Aaron Sorkin, the show's creator, and director Thomas Schlamme left after the fourth season ended, and quality took a nose dive. The ratings soon followed suit. With Sorkin gone, the show lost the heart that so brilliantly placed head and shoulders above other network programming its first few years. Executive producer John Wells took the reins solo, and before long, "The West Wing" began to look like Wells' other show, the long-in-the-tooth "ER." The warm lighting and formal framing have given way to shadows, sharp angles, and camera work that's supposed to be edgy or original but is really just distracting. The stories have devolved, too: The sense of hope, of minor triumph in the face of major adversity, is gone, and all that's left is a herd of disappointed characters looking lost in the world they used to rule.

So long, "West Wing." Now, bring on Sorkin's new project: "Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip."

2 Comments:

I have been a huge fan of West Wing, and I was really sad when Aaron and Tommy left. Thanks for all of the good memories boys, I am glad you don't have to flop around annoyingly on further episodes looking like shells of your former genious.

By Blogger Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire, at 9:32 AM, January 23, 2006  

Let me add a resounding "AMEN!" I'm going to admit that the first four seasons have helped shape some of my political views and I think the Democratic party is missing the boat by not paying Aaron Sorkin millions of dollars to help them articulate any position clearly and passionately. Some of the speeches in the true West Wing (seasons 1-4) still bring tears to my eyes and make me want to support President Bartlet! In the last election, I think I might have voted for Martin Sheen over the other candidates just for the sheer hope that a small part of Jed Bartlet lives in him.

I'm glad the show is ending. It has been cruel and painful to watch it devolve into the pulsing mass of human waste that it is. It's way past time to pull the plug!

By Blogger jocelyn, at 12:36 PM, January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment