Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The Best Movies You've Never Seen

I've seen more than a thousand films in my life. At only 22, this is no small accomplishment, although others my age have seen as many or more. For instance, one of my roommates, an old friend from college, has probably seen more movies than I have, but I take more pride in my list (I actually made one) than I would of his were I in his shoes. Why? Because, with a few exceptions and the transgressions of youth (I'd prefer to forget that I've seen 3 Ninjas and other less-than-exceptional elementary school flicks), most of the movies I've seen are, to a degree, better than others. I care too much about movies to simply see everything released. I'd rather not put myself through things like White Chicks or Alexander if I can help it. And that's where my roommate and I differ: if he's seen it and I haven't, the film's probably mainstream; if I've seen it and he hasn't, it's probably independent, older or conventionally ignored. I don't mean to sound elitist; on the contrary, being exclusionary does more to harm than good to my cause of getting people to see more movies and more kinds of movies.

With that in mind, I've put together a list of a few films I feel are unappreciated (or unheard of) by many members of my generation. Rent them, if only to drop their titles at a party and make people believe you're more knowledgeable than they'd expected.

1. The Limey (1999)
2. Donnie Darko (2001)
3. Bottle Rocket (1996)
4. Hard Eight (1996)
5. Following (1998)
6. Abre Los Ojos (1997) (Yes, this is in Spanish with English subtitles. Deal.)
7. Election (1999)
8. The Conversation (1974)
9. Breaking the Waves (1996)
10. A Midnight Clear (1992)

That'll do for now, although I'm sure I'll think of more later. I always do. But the preceding are good movies that not many people my age have taken the time to see. I'd like to see that change.

1 Comments:

Donnie darko was a great movie that everyone should see. Not too sure where I stand on The Limey. The rest We'll see about when we can.

By Blogger Azathoth100, at 5:58 PM, January 02, 2005  

Post a Comment