Monday, January 31, 2005

Ten Movies Worth Remembering, Part 4

A friend of mine recently commented that some of these posts come across like I have access to knowledge others don't, or feel smarter than others, etc. I think the word he was going for was 'pedantic,' but there's no way to use the word 'pedantic' without sounding precisely that, so I wasn't about to prompt him. But he has a point: I do feel like I have to do my best to encourage everyone I see know to see good films and understand why they're good. With that in mind, I've come up with ten more movies that everyone should see that, for one reason or another, have fallen off our collective cultural radar. (See the first, second, and third lists here.) Enjoy.

1. Gorky Park (1983)
2. The Contender (2000)
3. The Deep End (2001)
4. Miller's Crossing (1990)
5. The Mission (1986)
6. The Candidate (1972)
7. The Paper Chase (1973)
8. Shallow Grave (1994)
9. Whale Rider (2003)
10. Three Days of the Condor (1975)

3 Comments:

You've finally manageed to post a list of movies completed new to (or at least unwatched by) me. Good job! Sealer04

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:57 PM, January 31, 2005  

I liked The Mission, but it didn't really seem like the kind of cinematic brilliance that I am used to seeing from movies that you recommend.

Tried to watch Whale Rider and just couldn't do it. Not as bad as Ice Runner, or whatever the other eskimo movie was (I'm the only gay eskimo). Maybe I am just not in tune with their culture.

What is wrong with sounding pedantic?

By Blogger Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire, at 7:38 AM, February 04, 2005  

Whale Rider wasn't about Eskimos, but about members of the Maori tribe in New Zealand. I guess you weren't kidding about not being able to finish it.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 11:20 AM, February 04, 2005  

Post a Comment