Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Notes From My Department Meeting, 8.23.05

One of the new girls wears a lot of pink and leopard prints. I can't imagine how the look helped her find a mate, but she's married. It just goes to show you that there's a really desperate guy born every minute.

Youn-Joo doesn't say much, but I bet that behind that mousy, silent, dead-eyed stare is the kind of personality that could kidnap and torture American businessmen as some kind of karmic retribution.

If I were older, I would address Tony as "La Bamba." I mean, he's even got the sleeves of his polo shirt rolled up into little cuffs.

Joyce went to the beauty parlor (not the salon) and got her hair done. Now she just looks perpetually surprised.

If I dipped Skoal or owned a 12-gauge, I'd probably ask Amanda for her number.

One of the managers looked at me and gestured with his hands for me to keep my voice down. I stood up, took off my belt and looked him in the eye. "Do something," I said. "Do something."

If George Foreman were old, white, and female, he'd look just like Rose. That woman's got upper arms like she plays for the mighty Bengals of Cincinnati.

The company is excited about tomorrow's meeting because they're unrolling a mission statement that's been in the works for like 5 years. This is easily the most time ever spent on a sentence that all employees will be forced to memorize but that no one will care about.

Sometimes I think I look like a grizzly bear in a Gap shirt. The fact that I like to scratch my back against vertical edges probably doesn't do anything to discourage this image.

We play 3 Truths to end the meeting. It's like 2 Truths and a Lie, from camp or something, except it's actually 3 Truths. So retarded.

6 Comments:

I've told so many people about this weekly installment of yours. It's so great. I laugh. I cry. I slap myself for crying.

Keep it coming, Dan.

(ps...talked to Sarah for a while yesterday. You have a cool sis, man. Congrats on the new position, by the way! Sounds like a perfect fit. And if you haven't already, go look at my addition to your "Gay Soup" entry)

By Blogger Steve, at 1:48 PM, August 23, 2005  

Can't help but wonder how I never made it into one of these things. Coworker, friend, roommate--was I that inconsequental? My self-worth declines as I realize that you hardly remember our time together.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 PM, August 24, 2005  

Well, if this is who I think it is, we've never gone to a department meeting together.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 11:41 AM, August 26, 2005  

Then I am not who you think I am...or something like that. We have been to a department meeting together. That should narrow the list down a bit.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 PM, August 29, 2005  

I never went to a department meeting with any roommate. Company meeting, yes.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 7:09 PM, September 05, 2005  

I read your review of March of the Penguins and laughed out loud. So I went to your blogpage (is that the correct term, I am not a techie) - and laughed even more. You are truly funny - remind me of Bill Bryson "Notes from a Small Island." I am also an avid reader - are you going to write a book? I've also sent your review on to most of my friends.

Do you have Irish or English in your genes by the way?

Thanks for making me laugh!

Julia in San Francisco

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM, September 10, 2005  

Post a Comment