Thursday, January 05, 2006

He's Dead, But He's Got Good Taste

I'm putting together a list of songs that should be played at my funeral, and also burned onto a CD and distributed to any mourners who might show up as a kind of really weird parting (ha) gift. It'd be cool if the CDs could be black, as well, but regular ones are fine. That way, during the service or the car ride home, people could pause from their grief to say, "Wow, this is a good CD."

Possible track list includes:

"Peaceful Valley," Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
"Please Tell My Brother," Golden Smog
"No Depression," Uncle Tupelo
"Sorrow," Bad Religion
"Sin Nombre," The Refreshments
"Won't Be Home," Old 97's
"Another Travelin' Song," Bright Eyes
"Houses on the Hill," Whiskeytown

Once the list is finalized (for now), I should probably laminate it and stick it in my wallet, so that my donor information and musical preferences can be preserved, unless of course my death involves some kind of plane crash on a deserted island, in which case someone can just come back and look this up online. I can't do everything for you, now.

Any additional suggestions for the CD are welcome.

3 Comments:

This is requisite: Five for Fighting/100 Years
Fits your theme: Death Cab for Cutie/I'll Follow You In the Dark
Make your mourners want to dance: Bloc Party/Eating Glass
Make them laugh or sigh: The Decemberists/The Mariner's Revenge Song -or- We Both Go Down Together
Hardly appropriate, but great song: Hayden/Bad as They Seem
To replace that God-aweful Bright Eyes song:The Weakerthans/The Last Last One

Where is your chick music, Daniel? No sensitive guy would be complete without some Rilo Kiley or Tegan and Sara in their collection.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM, January 08, 2006  

"Last Hard Bible" (or "We're All Gonna Die Someday"), Kasey Chambers

"A Place Called Home," Kim Richey

"When I Cross Over," Tift Merritt

"2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten," Lucinda Williams

"Green Pastures," Emmylou Harris

But you didn't have to stomp on Bright Eyes like that. I think I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is a good album.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 4:09 PM, January 08, 2006  

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is an okay album. It was a little disappointing. I used to like "Another Travelin' Song." I included it on a mix CD I made for coworkers, and it was sort of my anthem for a road trip I took to California last spring. The song has some problems though, and I think Conor Oberst's earthquake voice is sort of an acquired taste. Of course, some people probably say the same about Hayden's lead singer.

"Lua" is my favorite Bright Eyes song. "When the President Talks to God" is also good, but it makes me angry. Have you heard it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 PM, January 08, 2006  

Post a Comment