Monday, January 09, 2006



It's been announced that the third and current season of Fox's Arrested Development will be shorter than normal, only 13 episodes instead of the standard 22. This, in turn, has fueles speculation that this will be the final season for the smart, critically loved but viewer-deprived show. And, as much as it pains me to say it, it might be time to let it go.

Full disclosure: I love the show. It's a single-camera sitcom with no laugh track, sharp writing and quick humor. I fell in love with another show with similar stylings a few years ago, Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night. That was the first show I ever really loved more than anyone should love a TV program, and it was canceled after two seasons. I've thought many times that I'd gladly give up an arm if only I could rewrite history and get just one more year with the cast and crew at CSC, the fictional sports network at the center of Sports Night, but the passage of time and the beginning of an understanding of the cruel reality of network TV have persuaded me that maybe, just maybe, things are okay this way.

Most shows that last for 6 years, or 7, or even 10, rarely maintain the level of quality with which they began. Notably, Sorkin's The West Wing faced a huge drop in quality when he left the show after its fourth season. Friends ran for 10 years, of which maybe 6 were worthwhile. It's a tough balancing act for programs: Live too long, and you jump the shark; die too soon, and you're missed all the more.

Sure, I'll miss Arrested Development, as will others of my generation. But look on the bright side: We got three (well, two and a half) perfect seasons. And I, for one, am thankful.

5 Comments:

Freaks and Geeks all over again.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM, January 10, 2006  

It's ridiculous. No, I won't accept it as okay. It's stupid. Two and 1/2 seasons is not time enough to develope a series. I agree that 10 seasons could be waaaaay too long but AD was getting better and better. I saw a blip on Cartoon Network about possibly doing for this show what it did for Family Guy. Fox has really got to get it's act together. This is probably the single funniest show ever.

By Blogger Kyle, at 8:52 PM, January 10, 2006  

Yeah, I loved Freaks and Geeks, too.

And of course it's ridiculous. That's the point. The stuff that lasts doesn't have the real power or heart or edge or unique view or whatever you want to call it. Arrested has even parodied its own dire straits, having the Bluths realize that the Home Builders Org. (HBO) could be one of their only ways out. Ron Howard's voice over says things like, "Please, tell your friends about this show." I'm not saying it's a smart decision to cancel it, just a sadly inevitable one. The stuff that lasts is safe, predictable, formulaic. Anything else is out of luck.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 12:42 AM, January 11, 2006  

Steve Holt!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:23 AM, January 11, 2006  

Steve: Whenever I see the show, I imagine you walking around Abilene, lifting your arms and shouting your own name as you enter rooms.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 6:53 PM, January 11, 2006  

Post a Comment