Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Notes From My Department Meeting, 5.3.05

Kim, head of the department, again launches into a description of the color scheme of our new office, ending with the justification, "They did that at J.D. Power." I'm no stranger to pretentious statements; a girl in a philosophy class I took once ended an argument with, "And thus ended the Nietzchean cycle of circular time." But the whole J.D. Power thing is worse because this is the real world, and people shouldn't act like this.

Denise shall henceforth be known as Crazy F***ing Denise, or simply CFD.

I found a much better picture of Joyce. Enjoy. The laugh is too similar to be coincidence.

After making a small joke to the person sitting next to me, Scott, one of the bosses, leans over and tells me to keep it down. I stand up on the table and take my shirt off. "What do you want to do?" I ask him. "What do you want to do?" He backs down quick enough. He's all talk.

CFD regales us with tales of the convention she was recently sent to, and her story includes a Top 15 list of things she learned about our company, herself, the universe, etc. She says this is in honor of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy being released in theaters. Words cannot be found to describe the horror and pity I felt at seeing someone so gleefully cast aside any attempt to make themselves socially palatable at the office and use the minutes she's been allotted to speak to trap me and my coworkers in a hellish dimension of pain, embarrassment, and more suicidal urges than most high schoolers. I hate CFD.

Joyce lets loose her cackle but quickly sputters into a bout of emphysemic hacking. Maybe you shouldn't take 9 smoke breaks a day, you walking black lung.

The girl sitting across from me keeps accidentally kicking my ankle. But there are no accidents in Dan's World of Fantasy and Psychosis.

I don't know how these people get excited about being here. They wake up in the morning thinking, "Man, I'm glad I don't have to be creative today. Good thing I'm just one step above the spell-check in Word. I like any ideas I have to die, quickly and unused."

8 Comments:

I always want to say that to my scottboss, but I never can muster the courage. It's not that I'm afraid he's going to fight me. It's just that he's an eight-foot-tall monkey, and I'm afraid he's going to bite me while we're fighting.

Fighting I can handle, but I have a problem with biting.

By Blogger Matthew, at 1:23 PM, May 03, 2005  

Dan, can you send me a resume? I want to see if I can get you a job with me. Your sarcasm would fit nicely if they would let Brian and me work together.

If we added you, I would actually enjoy work. Sigh... Office Space, I thought you were a movie and not a lifestyle.

By Blogger Master Baron Von Tuckenstein the First Esquire, at 1:48 PM, May 03, 2005  

I don't know who Brian is, but I bet you guys can easily pay me more than I'm making right now.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 2:00 PM, May 03, 2005  

I can only wonder what obscenities Mel unleashed in her comment that made her delete it.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 4:15 PM, May 03, 2005  

How much do boring office jobs pay? Is it worth trading in not having to deal with stupid kids for doing something that doesn't fulfill you? Probably not. At least I don't care whether the admin approves of my classroom skills. I wow them with my afterschool sponsoring abilities and play directing/set designing.

Dan, you should have poured your beer over Scott's head.

By Blogger Kyle, at 6:21 PM, May 03, 2005  

Dan,

I like your blog. It tastes like saltwater taffy.

Thanks for your post referencing my post (above).

To answer your question, I don't think we've met. My sis referred me to your blog once upon a time, and recently referred me again. I do know the guy who stole your Dave shirt, though.

I suggest that you associate my posts with the mental image of some vaguely-remembered cool person you once met. Preferably a person with massive deltoids.

By Blogger Matthew, at 1:02 PM, May 04, 2005  

Oddly enough, I was already picturing some massively ripped delts. Is that normal?

If you know Kyle, there's a chance I met/offended you on one of the occasions I visited his house. If it's the latter, sorry about that.

Who's your sister, then?

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 1:48 PM, May 04, 2005  

Dave shirt theif here. Who is this Matthew. My interest is piqued now. I geuss I could go check out your blog and see who you are.....Okay, I checked it out but still can't figure out who you are. I do know Jeff Wilhite, though. Red head guy from ACU. Nicer than all get-out.

Give a last name.

And you are my new favorite person. I liked your blog

By Blogger Kyle, at 2:45 PM, May 04, 2005  

Post a Comment