Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Notes From My Department Meeting, 6.28.05

Any time Kim, the department head, says we're about to learn something "incredibly interesting," you know she's full of crap.

A picture of Kim: Baby Spice's older sister, beaten by time and booze.

CFD has questions about the presentation we just saw. She always has questions. Curse her.

My boss Jennifer sometimes reminds me of E.T., or actually E.T. with a bad haircut and a cornflower sundress. And a massive underbite. And a lazy eye. Ultimately, it's a pretty disturbing visual.

We are given the password to the company's pay-subscription site and told not to sell it because some libraries pay $10,000 for entry into the site. I accept cash or check.

Linda, in her 40s, has a tattoo around her ankle of a rose. This pretty much convinces me that from 1987-1991 she was a groupie for Guns N' Roses. She always flinches when I say "Axl."

Having Joyce here is like letting a homeless bag lady onto the Senate floor and giving her a mic: too much exposure, too little cognitive function. (Although I guess that applies to more than a few senators.)

4 Comments:

Shouldn't it be "had something to say"?

By Blogger Sarah, at 2:23 PM, June 29, 2005  

I was going for the whole "couldn't refrain from speaking" meaning. They had to say something.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 2:24 PM, June 29, 2005  

CAN YOU BE FIRED FOR BLOGGING?
Bloggers write about their lives to keep friends and family up-to-date, talk about their industry, discuss hobbies or rant about their favorite reality TV show. But posting pictures of you at work, disclosing confidential information about your employer, or bad-mouthing your co-workers could get you in hot water for committing inappropriate behavior.

Whether or not it's intentional, divulging dirt about your job can spell trouble at work. Ellen Simonetti, a flight attendant for Delta, learned this the hard way.

Simonetti started a blog as a way to cope with her mother's death because she found it easier to write about her feelings than talk about them. She described it as an anonymous, semi-fictitious account of life as a flight attendant -- and she lost her job because of it.

Simonetti claims her termination resulted from pictures posted on her Web site, which show her in uniform aboard a Delta airplane. "The only reason I was given was the very vague phrase: ‘inappropriate pictures in uniform.' Delta will not define what ‘inappropriate' means, nor tell me which pictures they found ‘inappropriate'," she says. When asked about the issue, a Delta representative said the company does not discuss internal employee-related issues with the media.

Whatever bloggers are writing about work, employers don't like it. Employees have reportedly been fired for blogging at a number of companies, including Starbucks, Delta, Wells Fargo, Friendster and Kmart.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 AM, July 01, 2005  

Yeah, I read that article, too. Couple of things:

1. Seriously, sign your name. Anonymous posts are tiresome, even if meant well.

2. I'm not divulging proprietary information about the company. I'm saying things that everyone says about their job across the country: a lot of things about work suck. Nothing unique there. I don't even discuss my position or its requirements. I've never mentioned the company's name. How do you know I'm not using pseudonyms for coworkers? It's not like I'm posing next to the company logo like the Delta flight attendant.
Thanks for the heads-up, though. I've read articles like this one before.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 8:18 AM, July 01, 2005  

Post a Comment