Monday, November 07, 2005

Ten Movies You Should See, Pt. 6

As always, I recognize the inherent assumption in writing another one of these lists that I seem to have access to knowledge that others don't. But it turns out that I'm pretentious; at least, I was told I was, and I was given the quote at the very bottom of this page as proof. Now, I don't think I'm all that bad, or at least not the worst; my friends and I don't "sit around on the floor with wine and cheese, mispronouncing words like allegorical and didacticism." But like the man said, if you're gonna be viewed as pretentious no matter what, the least you can do is knock down a few bodies with it. So I've decided to use my flawed personality for the greater good: Here are another 10 titles that I feel are either underappreciated or unknown by more than a few members of my generation.

[See the first five lists.]

1. Blood Simple (1984)
2. The Fog of War (2003)
3. The Man with the Golden Arm (1955)
4. Straw Dogs (1971)
5. All the Real Girls (2003)
6. The Grifters (1990)
7. In the Bedroom (2001)
8. Dirty Pretty Things (2002)
9. Unfaithful (2002)
10. Paris, Texas (1984)

5 Comments:

And here I thought the quote at the bottom of the page meant Thomas Wolfe was pretentious. Damn.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM, November 07, 2005  

And I just thought it meant he was optimistic. Oh well.
I'll take the heat on this one.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 8:05 PM, November 07, 2005  

I really like your lists. I find it quite useful to have someone who will spend an exordinant amount of time seeing movies that no one else has heard of and sorting out the good from the bad. I've already taken you up on a few of your recommendations, including, most recently, Whale Rider which I enjoyed, despite it taking a while to really get into. (I had to get over the whole tribe thing and that they weren't making fun of it.) So to anyone who is offended or put off by your pretention, I say, "show me a better resource for quality film recomendations that appeal to other pretentious assholes, like yourself." I think you would be hard pressed. Hard pressed indeed!

BTW, can you come by later for some Cabernet Sauvignon and brea. We'll be viewing a PBS taping of the play Everyman and discussing how the inherit lessons can be applied to the modern day corporate environment.

By Blogger Kyle, at 8:47 PM, November 07, 2005  

Thanks, Kyle.

Sorry I couldn't make your little shindig. I had a Fountainhead discussion group, and then a Kierkegaard Fan Club meeting at a local Peet's Coffee, after which I just sat around the coffeehouse and did some journaling. But I'll be sure and catch you next time.

By Blogger Dan Carlson, at 11:41 AM, November 08, 2005  

I just stumbled onto your page and found myself saying, yes! yes! yes! and then realized that it probably sounded to my coworkers like I was acting out Meg Ryan's overplayed orgasm scene in When Harry Met Sally, so I stopped saying it out loud, but am still thinking yes, yes, yes. I love to find people of like mind. It is rare when it happens.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment